Thursday October 17, 2013

Police need your help finding a man who escaped from custody in Breathitt County early Wednesday afternoon.

Jackson City Police say they had just arrested 31 year old Brandon H. Nipper and booked him when he ran off.

It all happened when the jailer tried to put Nipper back into the transport van to take him to the Three Forks Regional Jail.

Officials say Nipper was arrested on a receiving stolen property charge.

We are told schools in Jackson were put on lockdown as a precaution.

Nipper is described as a white male, about five-feet- 9 inches tall and one-hundred forty pounds.

Contact KSP if you have any info.


A Golden Alert out of Harlan County has been cancelled.

Officials with Emergency Management in Harlan County say 84 year old George Stanton from Cawood has been located and is safe.

Officials say he has dementia and is a diabetic and was last seen about 2:00pm yesterday going toward Harlan.

Police did not say where Stanton was located but he is OK.


Fire officials are trying to determine what caused an ambulance to explode Wednesday in Leslie County.

Thankfully, no one was injured.

Paramedics were transporting a patient from Mary Breckinridge ARH Hospital to the nursing home around 10 a.m. Wednesday when their Trans-Star ambulance caught fire.

Sam Mullins, an off-duty Leslie County sheriff's deputy, was driving by and helped the paramedics get the patient out safely.

The ambulance was pulled over on the side of U.S. 421 near downtown Hyden when the explosion occurred.

The fire may have been started by a short in the wiring of the ambulance's electrical system and the explosion was likely from an oxygen tank on board.


The missing person's case of a Johnson County woman that was found in Knott County has been upgraded to a homicide investigation.

The body of 34 year old Christina Barnett, 34 years old, of Sitka, KY, was located on Highway 80 just east of Hindman, on September 25.

Her body had been partially burned and was covered by a TV.

Barnett was reported missing to KSP, by family members, on September 19.

The investigation is continuing by KSP Post 13 detectives.